When you can’t decide between banana muffins or carrot cake – you make both! In one! And top it with coconut streusel for good measure. That’s exactly how these banana carrot muffins came to be and I’m very happy that they did.
You guys! The sun has been out for three days now and it’s so glorious. It is really starting to feel like spring, though I’m hesitant to say that because who knows what the weather will do next week. But until then, I’ll be happily soaking up all the vitamin D I can. The feeling of sun beaming on your face after days of grey and rain is so blissful.
Also, a friendly reminder that the sun can cause sunburn and sun screen or being smart in the sun is important!! Not like that’s something I completely blanked on the other day or something… I was just too excited about a day of sunshine that I forgot what sun was and am now a tomato. Well, my face is half a tomato thanks to my hair covering part of my face and my glasses blocking my eyes. Needless to say, it’s a very unfortunate sunburn.
But it’s all good. It was a wonderful afternoon picnic-ing in the sun with some incredible human beans. This past week and a half I’ve been surrounded with so many beautiful friends and it reminded me just how important it is to surround myself with good vibes. I’ve gotten to spend time with some really inspiring passionate creatives and it has ignited a little fire in me that was very much needed. These vibes just make me want to create and really work at doing what I love.
Right now though, my love is for these banana carrot muffins and for YOU! So of course I want you and banana carrot muffins to meet and also fall in love.
The banana and carrot give these muffins such a lovely light sweetness. The carrots are also just some sneaky extra vegetables. They’re spiced like carrot cake, but have just enough banana flavour coming through to read banana bread. The streusel on top is the perfect finishing touch. It’s sweet, crispy, and coconutty – serious macaroon vibes <3 <3 I’d say that the streusel is optional, but…… why do that to yourself?!
If you give these banana carrot muffins a try, do let me know! Tell me all about it on social media or drop a comment below. I’d love to hear from you!
- 1 very ripe banana, mashed
- ½ cup finely grated carrot
- ¼ coconut sugar
- ¼-1/2 tsp allspice
- ¼-1/2 tsp ginger
- 1 cup spelt flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¾ cup almond milk
- ¼ cup flour (oat and spelt)
- 2 tbsp shredded coconut
- ½ tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- Heat oven to 350F. Line 5 muffin tins (alternatively, grease with coconut oil or cooking spray) and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the mashed banana, carrot, and coconut sugar. Mix to combine.
- Add in the spices (start with less and add more to taste), flour, baking powder and soda. Give a quick mix.
- Pour in almond milk as you stir. Mix until well combined.
- For the streusel: Simply combine all ingredients in a small bowl, it should be crumbly, but still sticks together.
- Divide muffin batter between the lined/greased muffin cups. Sprinkle the streusel on to each, lightly pressing into the batter.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool for a few minutes.