Coming in hot with not one, but TWO ice cream sandwich recipes for you, lil fluffernutters!
Lovely Natalie of Feasting on Fruit and I have teamed up to bring you some frozen treats in the form of sweet sandwiches. I have honestly been so excited to see what kind of ice cream sandwich wizardry Natalie was going to craft for this. Everything she makes blows my mind. Literally blows my mind. This is me every time a new recipe of hers pops up. She makes magic with the most simple wholesome ingredients. Her treats are always incredibly unique, the photos are always so stunning, and her videos are tiny lil Oscar-deserving works of art. On top of all that talent, she’s also the sweetest human bean!
Is my girl crush showing? I’m just so grateful that this crazy world of blogging connected us. It’s been amazing to follow along with her blog and journey. I’m always just so excited to see what she’s going to do next.
Her ice cream sandwich is no exception to the mind blowing recipes she’s whippin’ up. Instead of cookies, she used COOKIE DOUGH. This girl just gets me. As usual, she made the sweet treat fabulously fruity. I know these bad boys are going to make an appearance in my freezer this summer. Swooning.
I also decided to switch it up from the typical cookie sandwich and swapped in mini donuts! Yup. These ginger rhubarb mini donut ice cream sandwiches are bite sized bundles of joy that we all deserve in our life. Is this the second rhubarb donut recipe I’ve posted in a short time period? Yup. Am I mad about it? Nope, not at all. Don’t mind me as I rhubarb anything and everything you love. It’s just such a wonderful stalk. One of my all time favourite flavours to pair it with is ginger, so I swirled some crystallized ginger into the donuts giving them a nice ginger kick and bits of chewiness.
The fluffy, ginger-spiked cake donuts are sliced in half then filled with a generous scoop of rhubarb banana ice cream. Each part delicious on their own, but together? That’s where the magic happens and sparks fly. I finished them off with a drizzle of tahini – mostly for looks, but it also was a nice earthy touch!
If you give these ginger rhubarb mini donut ice cream sandwiches a try, tell me allllll about it! Leave a comment below, post a photo on Instagram, Tweet about it, or whatever your heart desires. I love hearing about your creations.
- 1 stalk rhubarb, chopped
- 2 frozen bananas, broken into chunks
- 1-2 frozen strawberries (for pink colour)
- ¼ cup almond milk
- ½ teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup spelt flour
- ¼ cup brown rice flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons applesauce
- crystallized ginger, finely diced
- First step is roasting the rhubarb. Place chopped rhubarb on a parchment lined baking tray and bake at 400F for 15-20 minutes or until soft.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Lower the oven to 350F and you can get started on the donuts.
- Combine the almond milk with the apple cider vinegar and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together the flours, baking powder, and baking soda. Add the applesauce, coconut sugar, and almond milk-vinegar mixture and mix until well combined. Swirl in the ginger.
- Oil a mini donut pan with coconut oil or spray with cooking spray.
- Spoon donut batter evenly into 6 donuts - filling each just under the edge.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool for a few minutes before removing from the donut pan. Then allow them to cool completely.
- To prepare the ice cream, blend the roasted rhubarb with the banana and strawberries until smooth. If your blender is struggling, add a dash of almond milk to help it blend. Pour into a shallow container and let freeze as your donuts cool.
- Slice the cooled donuts in half. Add a scoop of ice cream to one half and top with the other.
- Either enjoy as is or return to freezer to firm up.
- Optional: drizzle with tahini before enjoying!
Tell me about your dream ice cream sandwich!