Oh, sweet lemon-y crispy squares of goodness.
I was having troubles coming up with words for this post so I went and grabbed one of these lemon berry rice crispy treats out of the freezer in hopes of it inspiring me. It didn’t really, but at least I ate something tasty.
Vegan rice crispy treats have been something I’ve wanted to make for such a long time, but I was reluctant to buy brown rice syrup. To be honest, I don’t know why, but I was. I tried making them with some other sweetener, but ended up with a goopy not very crunchy mess instead of tidy crispy bars. There were so many times between then and now where I’ve gotten so close to getting brown rice syrup at the store, but always ended up putting it back. We just have a weird complicated relationship.
Anyways. I did it! I bought some and then made these lemon berry rice crispy treats and kicked myself in the butt for not buying it months ago. Now I can make all the rice crispy treats and all the granola bars (like seriously I need these). Moral of the story: brown rice syrup is worth buying.
For rice crispies I used these One Degree Organics Brown Rice Crisps and because I love this brand I’m going to say you should do, but obviously you can use any brand you can get your hands on! One Degree actually was kind enough to gift me a few boxes of cereals and that’s what re-sparked my need to make rice crispy treats. I had planned on using their chocolatey ones to make a super decadent treat, buuuuut I kind of sort of powered through the box way before I had a chance to play with them. No shame. Then spring sprung and my cravings changed to all things lemon!
So pleased with how these turned out. Their sweet, a little nutty from the tahini, and perfectly tangy from the lemon! The freeze dried berries were a perfect addition for some more brightness in flavour and colour. I used tahini because I knew they needed some sort of nut butter and thought tahini would pair best with lemon, if you’re a tahini hater (who even are you) feel free to use a different nut or seed butter!
Best part about these: no cooking aka super simple. Worst part: having to wait for them to set in the freezer. Okay actually the best part: having these at the ready to snack on whenever you need a sweet bite or something to hold you over until lunch/dinner/dessert/next snack.
If you give these lemon berry rice crispy treats a try, tell me all about it! Tag me on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, or comment below. I hope you love them as much as I do!
- ⅓ cup brown rice syrup
- ⅓ cup tahini
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- zest of a full lemon
- 2¼ cup brown rice crispies
- ¼ cup lightly crushed freeze dried berries
- In a large bowl, mix together the brown rice syrup, tahini, lemon juice, and lemon zest until well combined.
- Pour in half the rice crisps and start mixing them in. It's easiest if you use your hands! Add in the rest of the rice crispies and mix until they're completely coated and it's one big sticky mixture.
- Line an 8x8 baking tray or loaf pan with parchment paper. Transfer the rice crispy mixture into the pan and using another piece of parchment paper press firmly into the pan.
- Freeze for at least 20 minutes to firm up.
- Once ready, remove from freezer and cut into 10-12 bars.
- Store in an airtight container the freezer for up to a month.