This is worth turning your oven on for.
But if it is just way too hot for that, save this recipe for a rainy day. Nothing says comfort food like thick slices of warm freshly baked fruity bread on a grey day.
Has it been hot where you are? It’s been ridiculous here, I’m not used to this kind of heat and just don’t do well in it. I just moan and groan about how hot it is and sweat and feel gross and it’s just not fun. And don’t even get me started on trying to sleep in this heat. I don’t even want to think about turning on the oven, I think I’d probably overheat and die.
But here I am telling you you should turn on your oven so you can have this mango zucchini bread in your life.
If you read my WIAW posts you saw that I had tried to make this loaf twice with no success. Well I guess the third time’s the charm.
I was about to give up on my dream of having this as a loaf and attempt muffins, but I decided to try once more. I made quite a few changes and I’m so happy I tried again because it finally rose and is so soft and fluffy. It’s so good that I happily ate all three loaves of it on my own.
It’s incredible on its own, warm or cold, but my favourite way to enjoy it is toasted and topped with tahini and granola. The granola gives it a nice crunch and the tahini just goes so perfectly with all the flavours of the bread.
It’s soft, fluffy, and moist, it is speckled with bright green zucchini and studded with chunks of juicy mango. It’s also oil free and very low in sugar! I used half stevia half coconut sugar, but feel free to use all of one if that’s what tickles your fancy.
Just a warning that this bread is addicting, I don’t think I ever ate as much as I planned, I always ended up having at least another half of a slice. But try your best to save some because there’s a recipe using this mango zucchini bread coming your way later this week. Hint: it’s a perfect way to eat it on a hot day.
But until then, I leave you with this incredible mango zucchini bread.
If you give this recipe a try, let me know! I’d love to see it or hear all about it.
- 2 tbsp ground flax + 6 tbsp water
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1 cup oat flour*
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup grated zucchini, packed and drained**
- ⅓ cup applesauce
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup baking stevia
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup diced mango
- Prepare the flax eggs by whisking together the ground flax and water. Then let refrigerate for 10-15 minutes or until thick and gel-like.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl combine flours, baking powder, and baking soda and mix.
- In a smaller bowl combine the flax egg, zucchini, applesauce, sugar, stevia, vanilla extract, and almond milk and stir.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until combined. Gently fold in the mango.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper. Transfer the batter into the pan and smooth the top.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool on a cooling rack. Slice once completely cooled.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for just over a week.
**For the zucchini, pack it into a half cup measuring cup and then squeeze it down and pour out the liquid.