Some recipes are ones I develop in my head and even start figuring out measurements for before getting into the kitchen. Sometimes I just get in the kitchen with no ideas and just start throwing things together. Other times I’ll all of a sudden get a rush of recipe inspiration and drop whatever I’m doing and run to the kitchen to make it a reality – these peanut butter streusel banana brownies were one of those recipes.
I was craving the banana, chocolate, and peanut butter combo then I thought brownies and then I had a spark of genius to add a peanut butter streusel topping. Why don’t more brownies come with a crumbly crunchy streusel topping?! I feel like I’ve been missing out my whole life.
These thick fudgy chocolatey squares are just what your Friday needs to make it a serious FriYAY! Then you’ll have some to make the rest of your week extra special and delicious.
You could even eat these for breakfast and still feel energized and ready for the day, that’s how great the ingredients are! They’re also very acceptable snack or dessert. Pro tip: warm one up and top with ice cream for a fabulous dessert. Then repeat twice more 😉
These peanut butter streusel banana brownies are actually just an extra chocolatey version of my banana chocolate chip snack cake and now thinking back, why didn’t I add chocolate chips to these!? If you make these and add chocolate chips, you win.
I seriously love these banana brownies SO much, if I had ripe bananas that weren’t destined for the freezer I’d make another batch right this minute. I also love you guys so much and want you to have this fudgy chocolate-ness and crumbly peanut butter-ness in your life. I think you’ll love them. Not even just because they’re incredibly delicious, but because they’re also full of nutritious ingredients and you only need to dirty one bowl to whip them up. Win win win.
- 1 cup spelt flour
- ¼ cup buckwheat flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup mashed banana (about 2 bananas)
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- ¾ cup almond milk
- ¼ cup oats
- 1 tbsp peanut butter (I used crunchy)
- 2 tbsp peanut flour
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- Heat oven to 350F. Line an 8x8 baking tray or loaf pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flours, cocoa powder, and baking powder. Mix together.
- Add in the mashed banana, coconut sugar, vanilla, and salt. Begin to mix in.
- Slowly add the almond milk in while mixing.
- Once well combined, pour into baking tray/pan and spread evenly.
- Rinse out and dry the bowl you mixed the batter in. Then use to make the streusel by mixing together the oats, peanut butter, peanut flour, and maple syrup. You may need a little more maple syrup, just add until it's sticky but still crumbly.
- Crumble streusel on top of the brownie batter.
- Bake for 25-30 min or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool before cutting into 8-12 bars.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 4-5 days (definitely didn't last me that long 😉).