Today’s post is extra exciting! I’ll try my best to keep the exclamation points to a minimum, but no promises.
If you have ever emailed or texted me, you will know how much I love using exclamation points. Sometimes I have to stop myself before sending a message and make sure there’s a reasonable amount. Usually I have to take at least 3 away. And if you text me using exclamation points I will probably end up loving you forever.
Okay, back to the excitement! It’s exciting because I’m participating in a Vegan Mystery Box Challenge! Sam and Andrew put together this fun little challenge where they sent out a virtual mystery box of ingredients that your recipe has to include. Sort of like Chopped!
Pretty sure I could kill it on Chopped because I watch so much of it. Never use truffle oil. Ever. Don’t even try to make rice. When in doubt, bread pudding. Add acid. If you think of something to add at the last second, just don’t. If only there was a vegan Chopped. But this Vegan Mystery Box Challenge is close enough.
So what was in the box, you ask…
Pistachios! Cranberries! Coconut Milk!
I was expecting a really weird mix of things like banana, curry powder, and mushroom or something, so I was pretty happy with it. Especially since pistachio + cranberry is a match made in heaven.
So today I present to you pistachio and cranberry cream sandwich cookies. Crunchy pistachio cookies sandwiched with subtly sweet and tart cranberry coconut whipped cream. Basically a festive and hella fancy Oreo.
The cookies are made from pistachio flour! Aka blended up pistachios. I also added some chopped up pistachio in the cookie for extra texture. The pistachio ‘flour’ gives these cookies such a nice crispy texture and rich nutty taste. The nuttiness of the cookies paired with the sweet and tart creamy cranberry filling is kind of a flavour explosion.
I know these look super duper messy, but friends, they don’t have to be if you do what I say not as I do. I highly recommend refrigerating the cranberry coconut whipped cream filling beforehand for a bit just as it sets a little. Then after you make the sandwiches, refrigerate them again!!! (<— 3 exclamation points because it’s important) and they will set beautifully and you won’t end up having a little cookie sandwich filling explosion like I did. Just refrigerate them for me, please.
Want some more pistachio-cranberry-coconut lovin? Check out what these amazing bloggers did with their Vegan Mystery Box ingredients:
Magic Fruit Cake Bars with White Chocolate Drizzle by One Ingredient Chef
Vegan Cranberry Pistachio Loaf by It Doesn’t Taste Like Chicken
Cranberry Cheesecake & Pistachio Stuffed Vegan French Toast by Connoisseurus Veg
Pistachio Crusted Cranberry Cashew Coconut Cheese by Lemon and Coconut
Cranberry Pistachio and Mango Salad by Veggies Save the Day
Cranberry Cointreau Coconut Ice Cream with Candied Pistachios by Vegan Yak Attack
Cranberry Pistachio Donuts by Two City Vegans (Casey)
Cranberry Pistachio Gingersnap Truffles by Two City Vegans (Alix)
Whole Wheat Cranberry Pistachio Vegan Biscotti by Veggie Inspired Journey
Coconut Pistachio Cashew Cheese Panini with Cranberry Jam by Peppers and Peaches
Toasted Pistachio Rice Pudding with Candied Cranberries by The Lazy Vegan Baker
Pistachio and Cranberry Cream Sandwich Cookies by Love Me Feed Me (hey that’s me!)
Vegan Meringue Nests with Cranberry Coconut Whip and Crushed Pistachios by The Viet Vegan
Vegan Coconut Quinoa Salad by Beets Not Meats
Cranberry Orange & Pistachio Muffins With Vanilla Cream by A Virtual Vegan
Gourmet Lazy Cabbage Rolls by Choose to Cook
Sweet Potato Coconut Curry with Cranberries and Pistachios by The Tofu Diaries
Lebanese Semolina Pudding (Layali Lubnan) by Lands and Flavors
Vegan Chocolate Cranberry Cake by The Seasonal Diet
Jolly Bollywood Holiday Curry by Sexie Veggies
I really wish I could have them all in my life.
If you give these cookie sandwiches a try, let me know! Instagram it, Facebook it, Tweet about it, or comment below! Whatever your sweet heart desires.
- ⅓ cup shelled pistachios
- ½ cup oat flour
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ cup baking stevia (can sub coconut sugar)
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp applesauce
- 1 tbsp almond milk
- ¼ cup coconut cream*
- ¼ cup frozen cranberries
- zest from ½ an orange
- 1-2 tbsp agave or maple syrup
- Heat oven to 350F.
- Set aside a few pistachios to chop up, place the rest in a blender and blend until it reaches a flour-like consistency. Make sure you don't over blend it or it'll start to turn into pistachio butter!
- Add the pistachio flour to a medium bowl and add in the oat flour, baking soda, and stevia.
- In a small bowl combine the wet ingredients and mix. Add to the dry ingredients and mix until a dough forms. Fold in the chopped pistachios.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Divide the dough into tablespoon sized balls, place on the baking tray, and gently flatten. Make sure you have an even amount of cookies!
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are browned and the cookies are firm. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- To make the filling, microwave the cranberries for 60-90 seconds or until soft. Smash with a fork. Place in the fridge to cool them down a little.
- Using electric beaters, whip the coconut cream, cranberries, orange zest, and sweetener together.
- Let set in the fridge until cookies are cooled.
- Take one cookie, add a dollop of cream, and sandwich with another cookie. Let sit in the fridge for 10-15 minutes for a less messy sandwich.