“Everyday is an opportunity. Every hardship is a teacher. Every person you meet is a reflection of your soul. Every single thing that happens to you is there for you to learn and grow and you have the choice to take it with love and expand your horizons.”
Every morning should start with positive vibes and a nourishing breakfast.
Today I’ve got the coziest breakfast ever for you, this pumpkin chai oatmeal is basically autumn in breakfast form.
Can you believe this is the first oatmeal recipe I’ve posted on here?! Not sure what’s up with that considering oatmeal pretty much courses through my veins, especially now that it’s getting chillier out. It’s just so warm and comforting, eating a cozy bowl of oatmeal is probably the closest you can get to giving your stomach a hug.
The other day I went for a nice long walk and seriously autumn walks have to be one of the most wonderful things. The beautiful orange and yellow hues, the crunch of the leaves under each step, the warm sun and chilled breeze. It makes me feel so grounded. Getting out in nature always lifts my mood and even when the last thing I want to do is put on real clothes and leave the house, I try my best to get myself outside because I know it helps.
November is going to be dedicated to getting back to doing my happy things daily. Things like yoga, being outside, baking, photographing, reading, going to the gym, and solo dance parties. I spent a lot of October feeling really low, but I want change and am going to work for it. Starting with beginning each day in a positive way.
Those beginnings will most likely involve oatmeal. Preferably this fluffy pumpkin chai oatmeal with caramelized bananas. Some other A+ toppings for this oatmeal are coconut flakes (or coconut chips!), mulberries, and tahini. All together it makes such a magical comforting bowl.
It sounds a little fancy, but it’s just as easy as any other bowl of oats! The oatmeal and the bananas take about the same time to cook, so you do ’em both at the same time, then it goes into a bowl, gets topped with all the goodies your heart desires, and then it’s time to get cozy.
- ½ cup large flake oats
- 1 cup water (sub half almond milk for a creamier result)
- 3 tbsp pumpkin puree
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp cardamom
- ⅛ tsp ginger
- ⅛ tsp cloves
- pinch of allspice
- stevia or sweetener of choice
- 1 banana
- toppings of choice (recommended: coconut flakes, mulberries, and tahini)
- Place oats and water in a small pot and heat over high heat.
- Stir in pumpkin and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat to low and stir continuously as it begins to thicken.
- Cook until it reaches a consistency you like. I like mine pretty thick so I cook it until most of the water has been absorbed.
- Remove from heat and stir in the spices and sweetener to taste.
- For the banana, slice it lengthwise and place it sliced side up in a hot pan over medium heat that has been lightly oiled with coconut oil. Cook for 4-5 minutes, flip, and cook for another few minutes until it's soft.
- Place oatmeal in a bowl, top with caramelized banana and any other toppings you'd like, curl up with a blanket and tea, and enjoy!