Ice cream bars: an acceptable way to eat ice cream with your hands.
I guess that’s also what an ice cream cone is for… BUT this is way more fun. Especially these roasted cherry chocolate ice cream bars because they have chocolate and juicy roasted cherries and we made them together!
Well, kind of. If you’ve been here before, you know that roasted fruit is the love of my life. We’ve done bananas, nectarine, peach, blueberries, and strawberries. So when I found myself with a big bag of cherries, I really had no choice. It just kind of happened. Then they fell into a creamy coconut ice cream base and on to a raw chocolate crust, that’s how these roasted cherry chocolate ice cream bars happened. I’m pretty proud of this little impulse.
We just got a little barbecue for our deck, which is so exciting. Can you guess what I’m going to do first?? If you guessed grill all the fruit, you’d be correct. Roasted, grilled, or fresh, I just want all the fruit. In my face. At all times.
Fun fact: I made something really similar to this last summer, but the pictures didn’t turn out so they never made it to the blog. Soooo these are pretty overdue and so ready to be in your freezer 😉
Another fun fact: I got another job! I am now a virtual assistant for Go Dairy Free and I’m seriously loving it. Being able to work anywhere and whenever is really great. I also got to make, photograph, and eat ice cream the other day FOR WORK! So cool.
One thing that this job has taught me is how much time I waste. Seriously, it’s crazy. So it already has helped me with time management and learning to focus on one task at a time wholeheartedly instead of trying to edit photos, answer emails, write a post, and comment on all my friends blog posts while practicing handstands. It’s definitely a work in progress.
These ice cream bars are seriously dreamy. The breakdown: it starts with a chocolatey date oat base, then there’s a thick layer of creamy vanilla ice cream that’s studded with flavourful juicy roasted cherries, and finished off with a drizzle of dark chocolate. Creamy, chewy, crunchy – all the bases covered.
If you want to get real crazy you could sandwich two together and make an ice cream sandwich.
If you give these roasted cherry chocolate ice cream bars a try, let me know! Instagram them, Tweet about them, or comment below. I love seeing your creations with all my heart.
- 1 cup pitted medjool dates
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp water
- ½ cup + 1 tbsp rolled oats
- pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp cacao nibs
- ½ cup cherries, pitted and chopped
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 frozen banana
- 2-3 tbsp maple syrup or agave - or 10-15 drops vanilla stevia
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp dark chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 400F.
- Add dates, cocoa powder, oats, salt, and water to a food processor. Process until it comes together and starts to form on big ball.
- Add in the cacao nibs and pulse just to get them incorporated.
- Line an 8x8 baking tray with parchment paper. Transfer base dough to the tray and press evenly into the bottom of the pan. Set aside in the freezer.
- Lay cherries on a baking tray and roast for 10-12 minutes or until soft and have started releasing juice.
- To make the ice cream, blend together the coconut milk, banana, sweetener, and vanilla until smooth.
- Once cherries are roasted and cooled slightly stir them into the ice cream.
- Pour on top over the base and return to the freezer for at least 4 hours or until firm.
- Once ready, remove from the pan and slice into 16 squares.
- Melt dark chocolate and drizzle over top the ice cream bars.
- Store in the freezer for up to a month. Let thaw for a few minutes before digging in.