It’s been too long since we full out chocolate-ed over here. These spicy chocolate muffins are super chocolatey AND studded with chocolate chips so they’ve got us covered. Plus a little bit of spice is always nice.
I’m not sure if it’s because the holidays are approaching or because I’ve been feeling a little bleh lately, but I’ve been wanting allllll the chocolate. Just a constant stream of chocolate in my mouth please and thank you. Thankful for my advent calendar because I get a little bite of heavenly chocolate everyday.
Also I just found out that the chocolate shop next to my work is completely vegan?? How did I not know this?! What have I been doing with my life? It’s also fair trade, sooooo even more reason to be shopping there regularly. They have gummy candies and crunchy sponge candy!! Merry Xmas to me. Love, me.
Have you tried spiced chocolate anything? Are you into that sort of thing? I feel like it could be a bit weird if you’ve never tried, but I’m so into it and want you to experience the beauty of it too. Deep rich chocolate enhanced with a little bit of cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and cayenne. It gives it such a nice kick. Plus a little salt of course because salt + chocolate = hnnnng. It just brings out the flavour so much.
Other than chocolatey and spicy, these spicy chocolate muffins are super soft and tender with melty chocolate chips throughout. They come together so quickly and easily too. Let’s be honest, it’s basically a rich fudgy chocolate cupcake minus the icing therefore we can call it a muffin and eat it for breakfast and all is well.
I listen to a lot of podcasts and a lot of music so I thought it would be fun to start including a song and podcast episode recommendation in each of my posts. Yes? No? Tell me your thoughts!
Today’s music suggestion: Stones Around the Sun by Lewis Watson
Podcast: Women of The Hour – Season 2 Episode 1: Trapped
- ¼ cup spelt flour
- ¼ cup buckwheat flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ginger
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg
- pinch of cayenne
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp applesauce (or pumpkin puree)
- ⅓-1/2 nondairy milk
- chocolate chips - as many as your heart desires
- optional: coconut flakes for on top
- Heat oven to 350F. Line a muffin tin with 4 liners. Set aside.
- Combine all dry ingredients and mix well. Breaking up any cocoa powder clumps.
- Add in the applesauce and ⅓ cup of the milk, mix until it starts to come together. If it seems really thick or dry, add in more nondairy milk. Taste and adjust the spices and sweetness to your liking.
- Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon the batter evenly into the lined muffin tin. Fill a little more than ¾ of the way. Sprinkle with coconut flakes, if desired.
- Bake 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool on a cooling rack for a few minutes.
Spicy chocolate – yes or pass? Have you listened to any amazing podcasts lately?