Breakfast is my main motivation to get out of my cozy bed in the mornings.
I actually really really really love mornings and I think the way you start your day really sets the tone for how the rest of your day will go. So I always try to spend my mornings doing things that make me feel full and happy.
Wake up with the sun (hopefully) shining down on me, give my kitty tons of cuddles, and then brave rolling out of bed. Drink a big ol’ cup of water. Do some slow stretchy yoga followed my a little guided meditation. Hop back into bed with peppermint tea in my jumbo mug and a book (currently reading Eating Animals and Power of Now). Then it’s breakfast time.
Some days I wake up so hungry that I skip all that and jump straight into making breakfast and that’s okay too.
If you want a little more time to yourselves in the morning, then these superfood breakfast bars will come in handy! Make ’em Sunday night and you’ve got yourself a quick and filling breakfast that’s packed full of all the good things your body needs.
There’s not one, not three, but TWO veggies hiding in here. Can you guess ’em? eh? eh? If you guessed zucchini and carrot, you get a gold sticker because you’re absolutely right. There’s also banana smashed in there, oats, oat flour, and on top there’s a sprinkling of all the superfoods you have on hand – I went with shredded coconut, hemp hearts, chia seeds, buckwheat (gotta have that crunch), mulberry crumbs, and goji berries!
I do not recommend baking these bars with the goji berries on top because they burn and you’ll just have to pick them all off especially if you want to take nice pictures of them. Not like that’s what happened to me or anything… If you’re going for goji berries, try mixing them into the batter! Or shove them into the top after you take them out of the oven. Whatever you choose to top them with, will be the right decision. I have faith in you, friends.
Not only are they packed with all the nutrients, they’re also really enjoyable! They have a dense cake-like feel and I promise that you can’t taste the veggies! They just give the bars a wonderful moistness and a hidden servings of vegetables, which is perfect if you sometimes struggle to get all your vegetables in for the day.
Not to be bossy, but I think you should go make these bars so you can spend more time doing happy things tomorrow morning and less time running around trying to do a whole lot of things in a itty bitty amount of time. Stressful mornings = no bueno. Calm, fulfilling mornings with a delicious hearty breakfast = very very good.
- 1½ cups oat flour*
- ¼ cup oats
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 medium banana, mashed
- 3 tbsp applesauce
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup almond milk
- ½ cup shredded zucchini
- ½ cup shredded carrot
- desired superfoods to top (I used ½ tbsp each hemp hearts, chia seeds, and buckwheat, 2 tbsp shredded coconut, a handful of mulberry crumbs and chopped goji berries)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9x9 baking dish with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the oat flour, oats, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the mashed banana, applesauce, coconut sugar, vanilla, and almond milk and stir to combine. Mix in the shredded vegetables.
- Add the wet to the bowl of dry ingredients and gently mix until well combined.
- Pour batter into the baking dish and spread evenly. Sprinkle the top with your superfoods.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool before cutting into 9-12 bars.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.