My snuggly cat hasn’t left my side since I’ve been home. Cat cuddles have definitely been a huge help in trying to get accustomed to the chilly, grey, rainy days.
So has comfort food, giant sweaters, and lots of tea.
On the topic of comfort food, just thinking about these sweet kabocha biscuits makes me feel all warm and cozy.
There are very few things that I love more than kabocha, it’s one of my ultimate comfort foods. There’s just something about it’s bright orange colour, the way it gets crispy and golden when roasted, and it’s sweet soft inside… Then topped with nut butter, be still my heart.
These kabocha biscuits are tender and flaky and infused with sweet kabocha and cinnamon. They are begging to be toasted or warmed and slathered generously with cashew butter. They’re also incredible with a bit of apple butter. And a glass of almond milk. Comfort food at its finest.
If you don’t have kabocha on hand and need biscuits in front of you asap, you could swap in pumpkin, sweet potato, or any other squash puree and they would still rock.
These bright orange beautiful biscuits are best served right out of the oven or sliced and toasted.
If you give these a try, let me know! Leave a comment, tweet me, or snap a picture and tag me on Instagram. I’d love to see how you enjoyed them!
- 1½ cup spelt flour
- ½ cup + 1 tbsp kabocha puree*
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tbsp stevia
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ cup almond milk
- Heat oven to 400F.
- In a medium bowl, mix all dry ingredients. In a smaller bowl mix wet ingredients and then add to the dry.
- Mix gently until combined - careful not to overmix! It should be a thick dough.
- Transfer the dough to a piece of parchment and flatten gently with your hands to about ½ inch thick.
- Cut 7-8 biscuits using a cookie cutter (or mason jar lid like I did).
- Place the biscuits on a parchment lined baking tray and bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Slice and top with nut butter and/or jam and enjoy!
- Store in an airtight container for a couple days in the fridge.
*Recipe adapted from Vegan Richa’s Sweet Potato Biscuits.